- Category: Past events
- Created: Sunday, 01 April 2018 06:39
4th Annual Ayurvedic Workshop - Rishikesh, India 2019
Part of Khabir's certificate Ayurvedic Health Counselor (AHC) & Ayurvedic Practitioner (AP) Programs
150 hour Diagnosing Methods and Skills of Ayurveda Workshop
Nov. 15th - 21st
AYURVEDIC HEALTH-CARE TRAINING FOR WESTERNERS
By Vaidya Khabir Southwick, supported by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD-Ayurveda) and Dr. Amit Raj.
Held at Maa Yoga Ashram, Laxman Jhula, Rishikesh, India.
|Sponsored by Planet Ayurveda, India. |
* No prior training or knowledge of Ayurveda is required.
Khabir's certificate Ayurvedic Lifestyle Consultant (ALC) & Ayurvedic Practitioner (AP) Programs
The complete program comprises two 7-day workshops in Rishikesh, India, two 8 day advanced workshops in Kerala, extensive home study, case-study internship and the reading of five textbooks. These intensive workshops are presented for those who are interested in, studying or actively practicing [clinical] Ayurvedic health-care.
"This teaching format is for those who want an authentic and substantive hands-on training in Ayurvedic health-care (kayachikitsa) to be applied in clinical practice. Most courses on Ayurveda are more focused on theory than clinical application, or too academic and detailed, requiring understanding of Sanskrit terminology. The goal of these workshops is to help [western] students and practitioners of Ayurveda to better grasp the functional and clinical applications of Ayurveda. The classes are straightforward and clear without much Sanskrit terminology." Khabir
Certificate of Achievement
Upon the successful completion of the workshop a CERTIFICATE OF ACHIEVEMENT for the course, Diagnosing Methods & Skills of Ayurveda, will be provided by Planet Ayurveda and signed by Vaidya Khabir Southwick, Dr. Vikram Chauhan and Dr. Rakesh Argwal on behalf or Maa Yoga Ashram. The instructors and sponsors are pleased to provide this formal certificate course of study in Ayurvedic Healthcare. This course endeavors to provide a comprehensive and authentic, professional education for the health practitioner seeking to incorporate Ayurvedic medical principles into their existing practice, and those looking to enter the field of traditional Ayurvedic healthcare. A personalized certificate will be presented on the closing day for graduates.*
Ayurvedic Lifestyle Consultant (ALC)
Upon the successful completion of the 3rd course, with the approval of the instructor(s), students will receive a personalized certificate as a qualified Ayurvedic Lifestyle Consultant (ALC) for 500 hours of study. This certificate along with a recommendation letter from one of the instructors will qualify the student to apply for membership as an Ayurvedic Lifestyle Consultant (ALC) with the Association of Ayurvedic Professionals of North America (AAPNA).
Diagnostic Methods and Skills of Ayurveda
- Nov. 15th to the 21st, 2019
Requirements: Before taking this workshop the student should have a thorough understanding of the fundamentals of Ayurveda, including knowledge the tri-doshic system, sub-doshas, gunas (qualities), dhatus (tissues), srotomsi (systems), agni (digestive fire & power of transformation), ojas (immunity, vitality and inner strength) and ama (toxins and undigested food/waste)--as well as other essential aspects of anatomy and functionality of the body as per Ayurveda. It is highly recommended to take the first course before attending this course unless strong prior knowledge of the Ayurvedic fundamentals exists.
* Textbook and prior reading required: Pathology & Diagnosis in Ayurveda by Vaidya Atreya Smith (Amazon)
Overview: This course covers the three modes of diagnosis as per Ayurveda: Observation of the skin, eyes, shape & tongue (Darshana) ; touching the skin and organs and reading the pulse ( Sparshana) ; & questioning skills of the patient (Prashana).
- The objective of this course is give the student the practical knowledge and hands-on experience in a wide range of diagnostic skills and methods since accurate diagnosis skills are required to effectively to treat any disease, even within ourselves.
Part 1: Diagnosis Methods
- Questioning skills – Asking about health history, symptoms, diet and digestion (Prashana) Followed by role play practice with other students
- Observation skills - Reading the face, nails, eyes, skin and body (Darshana)
- Touching skills - Reading the pulse, skin and organs (Sparshana)
Part 2: Diagnosing Dosha, Dhatus (tissues), & Malas (wastes)
- Diagnosing doshic imbalances: Vata, Pitta, Kapha (Dosha Vriddhi)
- Understanding the 6 stages of disease (Kriyakala)
- Diagnosing digestion (Agni)
- Diagnosing toxins (Ama) by observing the tongue Followed by role play practice with other students.
- Analysis of the 3, bodily wastes (Malas)
- Diagnosing by observation of the skin, nails, face Followed by role play practice with other students.
- Analysis of 10 body systems (Srotamsi)
- Diagnosing by the surface and deep pulse (Nadi Pariksha) Followed by role play practice with other students.
- Understanding the rhythms of the doshas
Part 3: Review and apply knowledge of Ayurvedic diagnosis
- Each participant will diagnose other students':
- Prakruti (original mind-body constitution) and Vikruti (current state of imbalance) and sub-dosha imbalances
- Agni and Ama
- Each Dhatu (tissue) and the respective Srotamsi (channels)
- State of Prana, Tejas and Ojas
- State of mind based on the gunas: Satwa, Rajas, Tamas.
* Daily pre-reading material is provided the day before each course from the required text book. Sanskrit words that are important in clinical Ayurveda will be thoroughly explained.
Teachings are based on classical teachings and not westernized but simplified without much use of sanskrit except for essential words.
Certificate presentation at end of course
"Another wonderful Ayurveda workshop at Khabir's! Everyone would benefit from this well organized workshop . . . . Thank you Khabir for sharing your amazing knowledge." Ilse Oliver, Ventura, CA
US$650 for the 7-day workshop
Includes dinner, accommodation for 6 nights and a certificate of accomplishment for 150 hours of study (100 hours of guided self-study prior to the course, and 50 hours of intensive study in India). Price includes a private "cottage" with an attached bathroom (room cleaning & laundry services available), 1 evening dinner on the first day and conclusory breakfast on the last day. The course also includes herbal shopping tours, herbal teas for 7 days, lectures by guest speakers, access to Panchakarma treatments at reduced rates, close-by shopping and musical entertainment some nights.
* Bring extra money for food, an optional yoga class in the morning, Panchakarma treatments, private consultations with respected India Ayurveda doctors, herbal products, Indian clothes, and gifts.
*Transportation can be arranged from New Delhi, Chandigarh or Dehradun, India airports by taxi (6 hours, 5 hours or 1.5 hours respectively).
Mail your check ($150 for the deposit or $550 for the complete course at this time) to 226 W. Ojai Ave. 101-177, Ojai, CA 93023 payable to Natural Healing Consultants of Ojai and note which course you're paying for. Alternatively, we can send an online-printable invoice upon request.